Reetha powder - soapnut powder
Reetha (Aritha) have good cleansing properties. Contains high levels of saponins - a natural foaming agent. Naturally cleanses the skin and the hair, helps fight dandruff and nourishes the hair.
Reetha powder comes from the fruit of the Soapnut tree native to India, is widely used in ayurvedic treatments and is a popular ingredient in Ayurvedic shampoos and hygiene products.
Naturally contains saponins which when added to water reacts like soap, it produce bubbles and foam (not as lot as surfactants).
INCI: sapindus mukorossi shell powder
- rich in saponins, foams pretty good
- it has a proper pH, doesn't dry like a soap
- antibacterial, purifying, fights dandruff
- gives shiny and silky hair
- very gentle with the hair and skin
- suitable for all skin and hair types
- it is recommended especially for oily hair, irritated scalp, dandruff, oily complexion, skin affected by acne
- a good alternative to soaps and surfactants for sensitive skin and scalp, used also as "no-poo"
- face mask: mix with hot water, form a paste, let it cool; apply on the face and let it act for approx. 10 minutes and rinse; in case of sensitive skin, dilute with more neutral powders, like white clay or rice powder
- hair mask (instant shampoo): mix with hot water, form a soft paste, let it cool, apply on the hair and scalp, massage, let it act for a couple of minutes and rinse abundently with warm water
- reetha powder can be associated with other powder for hair care and hygiene like: shikakai, amla, nettle, kapoor kachli, ghassoul
- mixed with other powders, as a dry shampoo
- mix with other specific ingredients and for a body scrub of a facial scrub
- make an 10% infusion 10-15 minutes; filter the infusion and use as it is on face/hair or as aqueous phase of a cosmetic formulations
- a higher concentration of saponins can be obtained by boiling reetha powder in water; the resulted solution can be used as a 100% natural and vegetable shampoo, shower gel or liquid soap; the solution must be used immediately or must be preserved (with 0.6% cosgard) and keep in the refrigerator
- with Kapoor kachli powder for a shiny hair
- with Tulsi and Nettle powder, and specific essential oils to fight dandruff
- with Nettle powder and Ghassoul for hair care and oily scalp
- mix with Shikakai and Amla to make a powder shampoo
- mix with Hibiscus powder, white clay and exfoliating orange peel for a mask and facial scrub
Storage: in a cool, dry place, protected from light
Cautions: do not inhale, do not ingest; cosmetic use